Danish civil Aviation

When the ore in Blyklippen was exhausted and mining ceased, most of the crew left, and I had to find a new job. It was not difficult. Already during my last stay in Greenland, I had the telegraphic offer of recruitment in the Danish Civil Aviation. Since the airfield should continue to exist, but no longer could expect practical help from the mining company, it needed a development of the buildings as well as machinery.

Here was need for help with administrative work in Copenhagen, and this was further required because we also would take over administration of Kulusuk airport by Angmagssalik, and Vagar airport in the Faroe Islands. I accepted of course the offer, for the work were very similar to that I has done in the mining compagnys office, and contacts with the Greenland was retained, as the work included monitoring of both airports in Greenland, and the airport in the Faroe Islands. This place was, however, initially only available as a trial, and only in the summer. However, it was soon needed as an airfield which was open year round, and therefore required the establishing of snow clearing service and workshop, and  later to build new terminal and expansion of the runway.

We should also assist a department in Danish civil Aviation wich should take care of certain works on domestic airports in Denmark, so it was a time of many exciting tasks, but also a work which ranged very far.

In 1985, I was in Greenland for the last time. Because of a reorganisation of ministries Mesters Vig and Kulusuk airports was transferred to the Ministry of Greenland, and later was Mesters Vig airport closed down because there was a new airport under construction at Constabel Point, which was closer to Scoresbysund. Vagar airport could also do without my help, because here was built up a local administration, which presumably also was more obvious with the size the airport gradually assumed.

Since the scope of the work gradually made it possible, I got partial pension shortly after I was the age of 60. Here I worked every second day, and that was a very attractive solution. I got a good dose of extra leisure, and was still almost in full contact with my colleagues at work. When I was 67 I finished completely, but then I had also worked from I was 13 years.

This should give me time to have hobbies. No, them had I always had. Now there should only be more time for them. But the truth is, that with increasing age it is all going a little slower, and in reality I had probably practiced more of my hobbyes when this was done after a full working day.

Want to know something about my hobbies, then try to follow this link.

Back to Home

Revised february 25, 2009